Camp Staff Applicant Information
Are you looking for a summer that will give you the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of children?
Are you ready to challenge yourself?
Are you looking to be part of a team that acknowledges the worth of each person, camper or co-worker?
If you answer YES!, then Sweetwater Horse Camp is looking for you!
We are a small camp that uses horses as the basis of most of our activities. We advise applicants that your number 1 commitment and desire should be working with children and if you love horses too, well that will make your summer that much more fun!
Position available from June 9 through August 22, 2008 (includes 1 week training) Please state on your application the dates you are available. THE LONGER YOU ARE AVAILABLE THE BETTER YOUR CHANCES ARE FOR HIRE. Each councilor has Saturday and Sunday off.
Hourly pay starts at minimum wage.
- Desire to work with children
- Ability to deal with problems within the camp staff
- Ability to accept guidance and supervision
- Good character, integrity and adaptability
- Sense of humor, patience and self control
- 19 years of age or older
- Ability to put aside personal needs for the good of the children.
- Problem solving skills
- Riding instructors without certification should have a min. of 2 years experience (subject to riding and teaching assessment)
- Develop relationships with the children.
- Lead or assist classes
- Helping campers in participating successfully in all aspects of the camp program.
- Carry out established roles for supervising camper health.
- Supervise daily Ranch House cleanups for inspection.
- Responsible for the well being of the children while in Ranch House and during assigned activities.
- These are not the only duties to be performed. Some duties may be assigned and other duties may be assigned as required.
- Ability to communicate and work with groups participating (age and skill level), and provide necessary levels of instruction to campers.
- Ability to observe camper behavior and assess its appropriateness, enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures, and apply appropriate behavioral management techniques.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to the activity.
- Physical strength to endure the daily rigors of ranch work and outdoor instruction. You must be able to lift 75 lb and have the ability to move about the ranch unassisted.
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid.
- Ability to identify and respond to potential and actual hazards.
During the application / hiring process you will be subject to the following:
- Criminal background check
- SSN # check
- Drug/alcohol Testing
- Background and reference checks as well as social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook.
We expect each staff member to recognize the impact he or she may have on a child. Your role modeling is essential. The behaviors you choose will be emulated.
- Wear a clean Sweetwater Camp Staff shirt, Long pants or walking shorts, closed toed shoes or boots when called for, do not wear reflective sunglasses, no excessive jewelry, no excessive body piercing, no visible tattoos which are large or contain depictions of nudity, violence, sexual activities, gang signs or anything else that the parent(s) of our campers might object to. We reserve the right not to hire someone based on the amount, and type of tattooing and / or piercing.
- At no time is alcohol, illegal drugs or smoking allowed on the Camp premises.
- At no time is the use of profanity or" vulgar slang" permitted on the Camp premises.
» Download Application
Notice: Please observe our 5mph speed limit on Equitation Lane.
We all hope to see you here on your holiday and summer break!!
Phone: 619-475-3134, ask for Roberta or Loretta
Address: 3051 Equitation Lane, Bonita, CA 91902
See map for directions